Re: PL/pgSQL 2

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: PL/pgSQL 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Craig

On 09/04/2014 02:48 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> To take another example, I've been complaining about the fact
> that PostgreSQL 8.3+ requires far more typecasts in stored procedures
> than any other database I'm aware of for years, probably since before
> I joined EnterpriseDB.

+10

This still drives me nuts, and it's a serious problem for ORM users too.

The idea that we won't accept a 'text' typed input for an 'xml' or
'json' field is IMO absurdly and needlessly pedantic. I've not yet seen
an argument for what problems this solves.

I know why the changes in 8.3 were made, and they're clearly beneficial
overall, but we need to start putting some more implicit casts from text
to text-like types in, especially where there's no SQL-standard type
that users of JDBC etc can easily use in mappings.

I don't see a problem in additional casts.

But some missing casts are well - I found lot performance issues based on using wrong data types - integers, dates in text column.

Pavel

--
 Craig Ringer                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/