Re: proposal: plpgsql - Assert statement

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: proposal: plpgsql - Assert statement
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2014-09-06 7:27 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
Adding a WHEN clause to RAISE would have the benefit of not needing any
new keywords at all.

RAISE EXCEPTION 'format' [, expr ...] WHEN row_count <> 1;

It was one my older proposal.

Can we find a agreement there?

I find:

  1) The syntax less readable than  IF row_count <> 1 THEN RAISE EXCEPTION ..; END IF;
  2) It needless to require the user to specify an error message for every assertion.
  3) Allowing these to be disabled would be weird (though I might be the only one who wants that feature at this point).
  4) It would also be weird to display the parameters passed to the WHEN clause like I suggested here: http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/54096BA4.5030600@joh.to .  I think that's a crucial part of the feature.

So at least the vote isn't unanimous: -1 from me.

this doesn't to supply assertions, it is just shorter form

Pavel

.marko