Re: decoupling table and index vacuum

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: decoupling table and index vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 8:48 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Here is the first WIP patch for the decoupling table and index vacuum.
The first mail of the thread has already explained the complete
background of why we want to do this so instead of describing that I
will directly jump into explaining what these patches do.

Currently, the table vacuum and index vacuum are executed as a single
operation.  Basically, we vacuum the table by performing hot pruning
and remembering dead items in the cache and then we perform the index
vacuum and perform the second pass of the heap vacuum under which we
mark items unused.

In this patch, we make these multiple vacuum passes as independent
operations.  So the idea is that we provide multiple vacuum options
under that, the user can perform the independent operations i.e.
"VACUUM (heap_hot_prune) tbl_name" for performing just the hot prune
(first vacuum) pass, "VACUUM (heap_vacuum) tbl_name" for the second
heap pass to set dead item unused for which index vacuum is done. And
additionally, we are now allowing users to just perform the index
vacuum i.e. "VACUUM idx_name".

So under the heap_hot_prune pass, we will generate the dead tids and
instead of directly performing the index vacuum we will flush those
dead tids into the conveyor belt using Deadtidstore interfaces.  Then
in the index pass, we will read the data from the conveyor belt and
perform the index vacuum and at last, in the heap_vacuum pass, we will
read the data from the conveyor belt and mark all dead items unused.
However, in the second pass, we can only mark those items unused which
are dead, and for which all the indexes for the table are already
vacuumed.  So for identifying that in the pg_class entry we store the
conveyor belt pageno up to which we have already done the index vacuum
for the index related entry and we have already done the heap_vacuum
pass for the table related entry.  Additionally while doing the
hot_prune pass we also check if the item is already dead and index
vacuum is also done for that then we directly set it unused, for this,
we use Deadtidstore interfaces.

Deadtidstore provides interfaces over the conveyor belt for storing
and retrieving dead tids into the conveyor belt.  This module
maintains a DeadTidState which keeps track of the current insertion
progress i.e the first and the last conveyor belt page for the current
vacuum run. And on the completion of the vacuum run, this takes care
of setting the complete vacuum run bound by storing the last conveyor
belt pageno of the current vacuum run into the special space of the
first conveyor belt page for this run.  This also provides the
infrastructure to avoid adding duplicate tids into the conveyor belt.
Basically, if we perform the first vacuum pass multiple times without
executing the second vacuum pass then it is possible that we encounter
the same dead tids in the conveyor belt so this module maintains a
cache over the conveyor belt such that it only loads the data into the
cache w.r.t the current block the vacuum is processing so we don't
need to maintain a huge cache.

Test example:

CREATE TABLE t (a int);
CREATE INDEX idx on t(a);
INSERT INTO t VALUES (generate_series(1,1000000));
DELETE FROM t where a > 300;
VACUUM (heap_hot_prune) t;
VACUUM idx;
"VACUUM (heap_vacuum) t;

TODO:
- This is just a POC patch to discuss the design idea and needs a lot
of improvement and testing.
- We are using a slightly different format for storing the dead tids
into the conveyor belt which is explained in the patch but the
traditional multi-pass vacuum is still using the same format (array of
ItemPointeData), so we need to unify that format.
- Performance testing.
- Cleaner interfaces so that we can easily be integrated with auto
vacuum, currently, this is not provided for the manual vacuum.
- Add test cases.

Patches can be applied on the latest conveyor belt patches[1]

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFiTN-sQUddO9JPiH3tz%2BvbNqRqi_pgndecy8k2yXAnO3ymqZA%40mail.gmail.com

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar