Re: speeding up planning with partitions

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: speeding up planning with partitions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 5:36 PM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> It is more or less well known that the planner doesn't perform well with
> more than a few hundred partitions even when only a handful of partitions
> are ultimately included in the plan.  Situation has improved a bit in PG
> 11 where we replaced the older method of pruning partitions one-by-one
> using constraint exclusion with a much faster method that finds relevant
> partitions by using partitioning metadata.  However, we could only use it
> for SELECT queries, because UPDATE/DELETE are handled by a completely
> different code path, whose structure doesn't allow it to call the new
> pruning module's functionality.  Actually, not being able to use the new
> pruning is not the only problem for UPDATE/DELETE, more on which further
> below.
>

> pgbench -n -T 60 -f update.sql
>
> nparts  master    0001   0002   0003
> ======  ======    ====   ====   ====
> 0         2856    2893   2862   2816
> 8          507    1115   1447   1872
> 16         260     765   1173   1892
> 32         119     483    922   1884
> 64          59     282    615   1881
> 128         29     153    378   1835
> 256         14      79    210   1803
> 512          5      40    113   1728
> 1024         2      17     57   1616
> 2048         0*      9     30   1471
> 4096         0+      4     15   1236
> 8192         0=      2      7    975
>
> * 0.46
> + 0.0064
> = 0 (OOM on a virtual machine with 4GB RAM)

The idea looks interesting while going through the patch I observed
this comment.

/*
 * inheritance_planner
 *   Generate Paths in the case where the result relation is an
 *   inheritance set.
 *
 * We have to handle this case differently from cases where a source relation
 * is an inheritance set. Source inheritance is expanded at the bottom of the
 * plan tree (see allpaths.c), but target inheritance has to be expanded at
 * the top.

I think with your patch these comments needs to be change?

  if (parse->resultRelation &&
- rt_fetch(parse->resultRelation, parse->rtable)->inh)
+ rt_fetch(parse->resultRelation, parse->rtable)->inh &&
+ rt_fetch(parse->resultRelation, parse->rtable)->relkind !=
+ RELKIND_PARTITIONED_TABLE)
  inheritance_planner(root);
  else
  grouping_planner(root, false, tuple_fraction);

I think we can add some comments to explain if the target rel itself
is partitioned rel then why
we can directly go to the grouping planner.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar