Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of largein-progress transactions

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of largein-progress transactions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 2:43 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 7:53 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hmm, I find these modifications a bit ad-hoc.  So, not sure if it is
> > > better than the patch maintains sharedfileset information.
> >
> > I think we might do something better here, maybe by supplying function
> > pointer or so,  but maintaining sharedfileset which contains different
> > tablespace/mutext which we don't need at all for our purpose also
> > doesn't sound very appealing.
> >

> I think we can say something similar for Relation (rel cache entry as
> well) maintained in LogicalRepRelMapEntry.  I think we only need a
> pointer to that information.

Yeah, I see.

> >  Let me see if I can not come up with
> > some clean way of avoiding the need to shared-fileset then maybe we
> > can go with the shared fileset idea.
> >

> Fair enough.

While evaluating it further I feel there are a few more problems to
solve if we are using BufFile,  First thing is that in subxact file we
maintain the information of xid and its offset in the changes file.
So now, we will also have to store 'fileno' but that we can find using
BufFileTell.  Yet another problem is that currently, we don't
have the truncate option in the BufFile,  but we need it if the
sub-transaction gets aborted.  I think we can implement an extra
interface with the BufFile and should not be very hard as we already
know the fileno and the offset.  I will evaluate this part further and
let you know about the same.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar