Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 9:36 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> 2.
> +/*
> + * Macro to check if we are in a parallel vacuum.  If true, we are in the
> + * parallel mode and the DSM segment is initialized.
> + */
> +#define ParallelVacuumIsActive(lps) (((LVParallelState *) (lps)) != NULL)
>
> (LVParallelState *) (lps) -> this typecast is not required, just (lps)
> != NULL should be enough.
>
> 3.
>
> + shared->offset = MAXALIGN(add_size(SizeOfLVShared, BITMAPLEN(nindexes)));
> + prepare_index_statistics(shared, can_parallel_vacuum, nindexes);
> + pg_atomic_init_u32(&(shared->idx), 0);
> + pg_atomic_init_u32(&(shared->cost_balance), 0);
> + pg_atomic_init_u32(&(shared->active_nworkers), 0);
>
> I think it will look cleaner if we can initialize in the order they
> are declared in structure.
>
> 4.
> + VacuumSharedCostBalance = &(lps->lvshared->cost_balance);
> + VacuumActiveNWorkers = &(lps->lvshared->active_nworkers);
> +
> + /*
> + * Set up shared cost balance and the number of active workers for
> + * vacuum delay.
> + */
> + pg_atomic_write_u32(VacuumSharedCostBalance, VacuumCostBalance);
> + pg_atomic_write_u32(VacuumActiveNWorkers, 0);
> +
> + /*
> + * The number of workers can vary between bulkdelete and cleanup
> + * phase.
> + */
> + ReinitializeParallelWorkers(lps->pcxt, nworkers);
> +
> + LaunchParallelWorkers(lps->pcxt);
> +
> + if (lps->pcxt->nworkers_launched > 0)
> + {
> + /*
> + * Reset the local cost values for leader backend as we have
> + * already accumulated the remaining balance of heap.
> + */
> + VacuumCostBalance = 0;
> + VacuumCostBalanceLocal = 0;
> + }
> + else
> + {
> + /*
> + * Disable shared cost balance if we are not able to launch
> + * workers.
> + */
> + VacuumSharedCostBalance = NULL;
> + VacuumActiveNWorkers = NULL;
> + }
> +
>
> I don't like the idea of first initializing the
> VacuumSharedCostBalance with lps->lvshared->cost_balance and then
> uninitialize if nworkers_launched is 0.
> I am not sure why do we need to initialize VacuumSharedCostBalance
> here? just to perform pg_atomic_write_u32(VacuumSharedCostBalance,
> VacuumCostBalance);?
> I think we can initialize it only if nworkers_launched > 0 then we can

I missed one of my comment

+ /* Carry the shared balance value to heap scan */
+ if (VacuumSharedCostBalance)
+ VacuumCostBalance = pg_atomic_read_u32(VacuumSharedCostBalance);
+
+ if (nworkers > 0)
+ {
+ /* Disable shared cost balance */
+ VacuumSharedCostBalance = NULL;
+ VacuumActiveNWorkers = NULL;
+ }

Doesn't make sense to keep them as two conditions, we can combine them as below

/* If shared costing is enable, carry the shared balance value to heap
scan and disable the shared costing */
 if (VacuumSharedCostBalance)
{
}