Re: Logical Replication of sequences

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: Logical Replication of sequences
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 4:08 PM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jun 2024 at 10:51, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 4:06 PM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Amit and I engaged in an offline discussion regarding the design and
> > > contemplated that it could be like below:
> >
> > If I understand correctly, does this require the sequences to already
> > exist on the subscribing node before creating the subscription, or
> > will it also copy any non-existing sequences?
>
> Sequences must exist in the subscriber; we'll synchronize only their
> values. Any sequences that are not present in the subscriber will
> trigger an error.

Okay, that makes sense.

> > > 3) Refreshing the sequence can be achieved through the existing
> > > command: ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ... REFRESH PUBLICATION(no syntax change
> > > here).
> > > The subscriber identifies stale sequences, meaning sequences present
> > > in pg_subscription_rel but absent from the publication, and removes
> > > them from the pg_subscription_rel system table. The subscriber also
> > > checks for newly added sequences in the publisher and synchronizes
> > > their values from the publisher using the steps outlined in the
> > > subscription creation process. It's worth noting that previously
> > > synchronized sequences won't be synchronized again; the sequence sync
> > > will occur solely for the newly added sequences.
> >
> > > 4) Introducing a new command for refreshing all sequences: ALTER
> > > SUBSCRIPTION ... REFRESH PUBLICATION SEQUENCES.
> > > The subscriber will remove stale sequences and add newly added
> > > sequences from the publisher. Following this, it will re-synchronize
> > > the sequence values for all sequences in the updated list from the
> > > publisher, following the steps outlined in the subscription creation
> > > process.
> >
> > Okay, this answers my first question: we will remove the sequences
> > that are removed from the publisher and add the new sequences. I don't
> > see any problem with this, but doesn't it seem like we are effectively
> > doing DDL replication only for sequences without having a
> > comprehensive plan for overall DDL replication?
>
> What I intended to convey is that we'll eliminate the sequences from
> pg_subscription_rel. We won't facilitate the DDL replication of
> sequences; instead, we anticipate users to create the sequences
> themselves.

hmm okay.

> > > 5) Incorporate the pg_sequence_state function to fetch the sequence
> > > value from the publisher, along with the page LSN. Incorporate
> > > SetSequence function, which will procure a new relfilenode for the
> > > sequence and set the new relfilenode with the specified value. This
> > > will facilitate rollback in case of any failures.
> >
> > I do not understand this point, you mean whenever we are fetching the
> > sequence value from the publisher we need to create a new relfilenode
> > on the subscriber?  Why not just update the catalog tuple is
> > sufficient?  Or this is for handling the ALTER SEQUENCE case?
>
> Sequences operate distinctively from tables. Alterations to sequences
> reflect instantly in another session, even before committing the
> transaction. To ensure the synchronization of sequence value and state
> updates in pg_subscription_rel, we assign it a new relfilenode. This
> strategy ensures that any potential errors allow for the rollback of
> both the sequence state in pg_subscription_rel and the sequence values
> simultaneously.

So, you're saying that when we synchronize the sequence values on the
subscriber side, we will create a new relfilenode to allow reverting
to the old state of the sequence in case of an error or transaction
rollback? But why would we want to do that? Generally, even if you
call nextval() on a sequence and then roll back the transaction, the
sequence value doesn't revert to the old value. So, what specific
problem on the subscriber side are we trying to avoid by operating on
a new relfilenode?

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar