Re: [HACKERS] Proposal: Improve bitmap costing for lossy pages

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Proposal: Improve bitmap costing for lossy pages
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 9:45 AM, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

>>         if (tbm->nentries <= tbm->maxentries / 2)
>>         {
>>             /*
>>              * We have made enough room.
>> I think we could try higher fill factor, say, 0.9. tbm_lossify basically
>> just continues iterating over the hashtable with not so much overhead per a
>> call, so calling it more frequently should not be a problem. On the other
>> hand, it would have to process less pages, and the bitmap would be less
>> lossy.
>>
>> I didn't benchmark the index scan per se with the 0.9 fill factor, but the
>> reduction of lossy pages was significant.
>
> I will try this and produce some performance number.

I have done some performance testing as suggested by Alexander (patch attached).

Performance results:  I can see a significant reduction in lossy_pages
count in all the queries and also a noticeable reduction in the
execution time in some of the queries.  I have tested with 2 different
work_mem. Below are the test results (lossy pages count and execution
time).

TPCH benchmark: 20 scale factor
Machine: Power 4 socket
Tested with max_parallel_worker_per_gather=0

Work_mem: 20 MB

(Lossy Pages count:)
Query     head      patch

4           166551  35478