Why don't we support external input/output functions for the composite types

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Why don't we support external input/output functions for the composite types
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I'm curious about composite types in PostgreSQL. By default, when we
create a composite type, it utilizes the "record_in" and "record_out"
functions for input/output. Do you think it would be beneficial to
expand the syntax to allow users to specify custom input/output
functions when creating composite types? Has anyone attempted this
before, and are there any design challenges associated with it? Or is
it simply not implemented because it's not seen as a valuable
addition?

I believe it would be beneficial because users creating a new type
might prefer to define specific input/output syntax rather than
conforming to what is accepted by the RECORD type.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar