Re: use CREATE DATABASE STRATEGY = FILE_COPY in pg_upgrade

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: use CREATE DATABASE STRATEGY = FILE_COPY in pg_upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 7, 2024 at 11:57 AM Matthias van de Meent
<boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jun 2024 at 07:18, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 10:59 PM Matthias van de Meent
> > <boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Because in the normal case (not during binary_upgrade) you don't want
> >> to have to generate 2 checkpoints for every created database,
> >> especially not when your shared buffers are large. Checkpoints' costs
> >> scale approximately linearly with the size of shared buffers, so being
> >> able to skip those checkpoints (with strategy=WAL_LOG) will save a lot
> >> of performance in the systems where this performance impact matters
> >> most.
> >
> > I agree with you that we introduced the WAL_LOG strategy to avoid
> > these force checkpoints. However, in binary upgrade cases where no
> > operations are happening in the system, the FILE_COPY strategy should
> > be faster.
>
> While you would be correct if there were no operations happening in
> the system, during binary upgrade we're still actively modifying
> catalogs; and this is done with potentially many concurrent jobs. I
> think it's not unlikely that this would impact performance.

Maybe, but generally, long checkpoints are problematic because they
involve a lot of I/O, which hampers overall system performance.
However, in the case of a binary upgrade, the concurrent operations
are only performing a schema restore, not a real data restore.
Therefore, it shouldn't have a significant impact, and the checkpoints
should also not do a lot of I/O during binary upgrade, right?

> Now that I think about it, arguably, we shouldn't need to run
> checkpoints during binary upgrade for the FILE_COPY strategy after
> we've restored the template1 database and created a checkpoint after
> that: All other databases use template1 as their template database,
> and the checkpoint is there mostly to guarantee the FS knows about all
> changes in the template database before we task it with copying the
> template database over to our new database, so the protections we get
> from more checkpoints are practically useless.
> If such a change were implemented (i.e. no checkpoints for FILE_COPY
> in binary upgrade, with a single manual checkpoint after restoring
> template1 in create_new_objects) I think most of my concerns with this
> patch would be alleviated.

Yeah, I think that's a valid point. The second checkpoint is to ensure
that the XLOG_DBASE_CREATE_FILE_COPY never gets replayed. However, for
binary upgrades, we don't need that guarantee because a checkpoint
will be performed during shutdown at the end of the upgrade anyway.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar