Re: SLRU optimization - configurable buffer pool and partitioning the SLRU lock

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: SLRU optimization - configurable buffer pool and partitioning the SLRU lock
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 8, 2024 at 4:55 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> The more I look at TransactionGroupUpdateXidStatus, the more I think
> it's broken, and while we do have some tests, I don't have confidence
> that they cover all possible cases.
>
> Or, at least, if this code is good, then it hasn't been sufficiently
> explained.

Any thought about a case in which you think it might be broken, I mean
any vague thought might also help where you think it might not work as
expected so that I can also think in that direction.  It might be
possible that I might not be thinking of some perspective that you are
thinking and comments might be lacking from that point of view.

> If we have multiple processes trying to write bits to clog, and they are
> using different banks, then the LWLockConditionalAcquire will be able to
> acquire the bank lock

Do you think there is a problem with multiple processes getting the
lock? I mean they are modifying different CLOG pages so that can be
done concurrently right?

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar