Re: Impact of checkpointer during pg_upgrade

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: Impact of checkpointer during pg_upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 4, 2023 at 11:18 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 4, 2023 at 10:33 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > We already have the latest checkpoint LSN information from
> > > pg_controldata. I think we can use that as the patch proposed in the
> > > thread [1] is doing now. Do you have something else in mind?
> >
> > I think I did not understood the complete proposal.  And what I meant
> > is that if we dump the slot before we start the cluster thats fine.
> > But then later after starting the old cluster if we run some query
> > like we do in check_old_cluster_for_valid_slots() then thats not
> > right, because there is gap between the status of the slots what we
> > dumped before starting the cluster and what we are checking after the
> > cluster, so there is not point of that check right?
> >

> That's right but if we do read slots from disk, we preserve those in
> the memory and use that information instead of querying it again in
> check_old_cluster_for_valid_slots().

> > > If we want to do this we probably need to maintain a flag in the slot
> > > indicating that it was invalidated during an upgrade and then use the
> > > same flag in the upgrade to check the validity of slots. I think such
> > > a flag needs to be maintained at the same level as
> > > ReplicationSlotInvalidationCause to avoid any inconsistency among
> > > those.
> >
> > I think we can do better, like we can just read the latest
> > checkpoint's LSN before starting the old cluster.  And now while
> > checking the slot can't we check if the the slot is invalidated then
> > their confirmed_flush_lsn >= the latest_checkpoint_lsn we preserved
> > before starting the cluster because if so then those slot might have
> > got invalidated during the upgrade no?
> >

> Isn't that possible only if we update confirmend_flush LSN while
> invalidating? Otherwise, how the check you are proposing can succeed?

I am not suggesting to compare the confirmend_flush_lsn to the latest
checkpoint LSN instead I am suggesting that before starting the
cluster we get the location of the latest checkpoint LSN that should
be the shutdown checkpoint LSN.  So now also in [1] we check that
confirmed flush lsn should be equal to the latest checkpoint lsn.   So
the only problem is that after we restart the cluster during the
upgrade we might invalidate some of the slots which are perfectly fine
to migrate and we want to identify those slots.  So if we know the the
LSN of the shutdown checkpoint before the cluster started then we can
perform a additional checks on all the invalidated slots that their
confirmed lsn >= shutdown checkpoint lsn we preserved before
restarting the cluster (not the latest checkpoint lsn) then those
slots got invalidated only after we started the cluster for upgrade?
Is there any loophole in this theory?   This theory is based on the
assumption that the confirmed flush lsn are not moving forward for the
already invalidated slots that means the slot which got invalidated
before we shutdown for upgrade will have confirm flush lsn value <
shutdown checkpoint and the slots which got invalidated during the
upgrade will have confirm flush lsn at least equal to the shutdown
checkpoint.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/TYAPR01MB5866F7D8ED15BA1E8E4A2AB0F5E4A%40TYAPR01MB5866.jpnprd01.prod.outlook.com

--