Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 7:32 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> writes:
> > ... My point is
> > that we’re doing pretty unreasonable and inefficient contortions to
> > develop new features -- we're not just happily chugging along without
> > threads at no cost.
>
> Sure, but it's not like chugging along *with* threads would be no-cost.
> Others have already pointed out the permanent downsides of that, such
> as loss of isolation between sessions leading to debugging headaches
> (and, I predict, more than one security-grade bug).

I agree in some cases debugging would be hard, but I feel there are
cases where the thread model will make the debugging experience better
e.g breaking at the entry point of the new parallel worker or other
worker is hard with the process model but that would be very smooth
with the thread model as per my experience.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar