Re: Parallel Inserts in CREATE TABLE AS

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: Parallel Inserts in CREATE TABLE AS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 10:45 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 2:20 PM Bharath Rupireddy
> <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 11:11 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I have reviewed part of v15-0001 patch, I have a few comments, I will
> > > continue to review this.
> >
> > Thanks a lot.
> >
> > > 1.
> > > Why is this temporary hack? and what is the plan for removing this hack?
> >
> > The changes in xact.c, xact.h and heapam.c are common to all the
> > parallel insert patches - COPY, INSERT INTO SELECT. That was the
> > initial comment, I forgot to keep it in sync with the other patches.
> > Now, I used the comment from INSERT INTO SELECT patch. IIRC, the plan
> > was to have these code in all the parallel inserts patch, whichever
> > gets to review and commit first, others will update their patches
> > accordingly.
> >
> > > 2.
> > > +/*
> > > + * ChooseParallelInsertsInCTAS --- determine whether or not parallel
> > > + * insertion is possible, if yes set the parallel insert state i.e. push down
> > > + * the dest receiver to the Gather nodes.
> > > + */
> > > +void ChooseParallelInsertsInCTAS(IntoClause *into, QueryDesc *queryDesc)
> > > +{
> > > +    if (!IS_CTAS(into))
> > > +        return;
> > >
> > > When will this hit?  The functtion name suggest that it is from CTAS
> > > but now you have a check that if it is
> > > not for CTAS then return,  can you add the comment that when do you
> > > expect this case?
> >
> > Yes it will hit for explain cases, but I choose to remove this and
> > check outside in the explain something like:
> > if (into)
> >     ChooseParallelInsertsInCTAS()
> >
> > > Also the function name should start in a new line
> > > i.e
> > > void
> > > ChooseParallelInsertsInCTAS(IntoClause *into, QueryDesc *queryDesc)
> >
> > Ah, missed that. Modified now.
> >
> > > 3.
> > > +/*
> > > + * ChooseParallelInsertsInCTAS --- determine whether or not parallel
> > > + * insertion is possible, if yes set the parallel insert state i.e. push down
> > > + * the dest receiver to the Gather nodes.
> > > + */
> > >
> > > Push down to the Gather nodes?  I think the right statement will be
> > > push down below the Gather node.
> >
> > Modified.
> >
> > > 4.
> > > intorel_startup(DestReceiver *self, int operation, TupleDesc typeinfo)
> > > {
> > >      DR_intorel *myState = (DR_intorel *) self;
> > >
> > >     -- Comment ->in parallel worker we don't need to crease dest recv blah blah
> > > +    if (myState->is_parallel_worker)
> > >     {
> > >         --parallel worker handling--
> > >         return;
> > >     }

> [...]

I have completed reviewing 0001, I don't have more comments, just one
question.  Soon I will review the remaining patches.

+    /* If parallel inserts are to be allowed, set a few extra information. */
+    if (myState->is_parallel)
+    {
+        myState->object_id = intoRelationAddr.objectId;
+
+        /*
+         * We don't need to skip contacting FSM while inserting tuples for
+         * parallel mode, while extending the relations, workers instead of
+         * blocking on a page while another worker is inserting, can check the
+         * FSM for another page that can accommodate the tuples. This results
+         * in major benefit for parallel inserts.
+        myState->ti_options = 0;

Is there any performance data for this or just theoretical analysis?

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar