Re: RFC: Logging plan of the running query

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: RFC: Logging plan of the running query
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 3:06 PM Bharath Rupireddy

> On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 2:57 PM Bharath Rupireddy
> <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 2:44 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > +1 for the idea.  I did not read the complete patch but while reading
> > > through the patch, I noticed that you using elevel as LOG for printing
> > > the stack trace.  But I think the backend whose pid you have passed,
> > > the connected client to that backend might not have superuser
> > > privileges and if you use elevel LOG then that message will be sent to
> > > that connected client as well and I don't think that is secure.  So
> > > can we use LOG_SERVER_ONLY so that we can prevent
> > > it from sending to the client.
> >
> > True, we should use LOG_SERVER_ONLY and not send any logs to the client.
>
> I further tend to think that, is it correct to log queries with LOG
> level when log_statement GUC is set? Or should it also be
> LOG_SERVER_ONLY?
>
>     /* Log immediately if dictated by log_statement */
>     if (check_log_statement(parsetree_list))
>     {
>         ereport(LOG,
>                 (errmsg("statement: %s", query_string),
>                  errhidestmt(true),
>                  errdetail_execute(parsetree_list)));

What is your argument behind logging it with LOG? I mean we are
sending the signal to all the backend and some backend might have the
client who is not connected as a superuser so sending the plan to
those clients is not a good idea from a security perspective.
Anyways, LOG_SERVER_ONLY is not an exposed logging level it is used
for an internal purpose.  So IMHO it should be logged with
LOG_SERVER_ONLY level.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar