Re: Compress ReorderBuffer spill files using LZ4

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: Compress ReorderBuffer spill files using LZ4
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 6, 2024 at 4:43 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 6, 2024 at 4:28 PM Julien Tachoires <julmon@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > When the content of a large transaction (size exceeding
> > logical_decoding_work_mem) and its sub-transactions has to be
> > reordered during logical decoding, then, all the changes are written
> > on disk in temporary files located in pg_replslot/<slot_name>.
> > Decoding very large transactions by multiple replication slots can
> > lead to disk space saturation and high I/O utilization.
> >

> Why can't one use 'streaming' option to send changes to the client
> once it reaches the configured limit of 'logical_decoding_work_mem'?
>

> > 2. Do we want a GUC to switch compression on/off?
> >

> It depends on the overhead of decoding. Did you try to measure the
> decoding overhead of decompression when reading compressed files?

I think it depends on the trade-off between the I/O savings from
reducing the data size and the performance cost of compressing and
decompressing the data. This balance is highly dependent on the
hardware. For example, if you have a very slow disk and a powerful
processor, compression could be advantageous. Conversely, if the disk
is very fast, the I/O savings might be minimal, and the compression
overhead could outweigh the benefits. Additionally, the effectiveness
of compression also depends on the compression ratio, which varies
with the type of data being compressed.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar