Re: persist logical slots to disk during shutdown checkpoint

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: persist logical slots to disk during shutdown checkpoint
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 6, 2023 at 12:01 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 6, 2023 at 9:57 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 6, 2023 at 9:47 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > On Tue, Sep 5, 2023 at 6:00 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Right, it can change and in that case, the check related to
> > > confirm_flush LSN will fail during the upgrade. However, the point is
> > > that if we don't take spinlock, we need to properly write comments on
> > > why unlike in other places it is safe here to check these values
> > > without spinlock.
> >
> > I agree with that, but now also it is not true that we are alway
> > reading this under the spin lock for example[1][2], we can see we are
> > reading this without spin lock.
> > [1]
> > StartLogicalReplication
> > {
> > /*
> > * Report the location after which we'll send out further commits as the
> > * current sentPtr.
> > */
> > sentPtr = MyReplicationSlot->data.confirmed_flush;
> > }
> > [2]
> > LogicalIncreaseRestartDecodingForSlot
> > {
> > /* candidates are already valid with the current flush position, apply */
> > if (updated_lsn)
> > LogicalConfirmReceivedLocation(slot->data.confirmed_flush);
> > }
> >

> These are accessed only in walsender and confirmed_flush is always
> updated by walsender. So, this is clearly okay.

Hmm, that's a valid point.

> >  We can do that but I feel we have to be careful for
> > > all future usages of these variables, so, having spinlock makes them
> > > follow the normal coding pattern which I feel makes it more robust.
> > > Yes, marking dirty via common function also has merits but personally,
> > > I find it better to follow the normal coding practice of checking the
> > > required fields under spinlock. The other possibility is to first
> > > check if we need to mark the slot dirty under spinlock, then release
> > > the spinlock, and then call the common MarkDirty function, but again
> > > that will be under the assumption that these flags won't change.
> >
> > Thats true, but we are already making the assumption because now also
> > we are taking the spinlock and taking a decision of marking the slot
> > dirty.  And after that we are releasing the spin lock and if we do not
> > have guarantee that it can not concurrently change the many things can
> > go wrong no?
> >

> Also, note that invalidated field could be updated by startup process
> but that is only possible on standby, so it is safe but again that
> would be another assumption.

Okay, so I also agree to go with the current patch.  Because as you
said above if we access this without a spin lock outside walsender
then we will be making a new exception and I agree with that decision
of not making the new exception.

Other than that the patch LGTM.

--
Regards,