Re: Opening queries in new window, record caching when scrolling

От Harshal Dhumal
Тема Re: Opening queries in new window, record caching when scrolling
Дата
Список pgadmin-support

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 10:12 AM, Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza.zabuawala@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 9:56 AM, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 6:36 AM, Russell Mercer <rmercer@getspatial.com> wrote:

Hi,

One of the items that was noted in the release of 1.6 was the ability to move queries into a new window, allowing for use on multiple screens.  I was wondering if anyone has been able to make this work.  I've given it a shot, but seem to be missing a step in the process.

The one way I've seen to open a new window is by Right Clicking on the pgAdmin 4 logo at the top left, and choosing the option to Open in a New Window.  The result of this is a new window, but in the form of a tab created in the existing window.  Is there a way to break that out separately to its own window?

You can drag and drop that tab to make it an independant window.
Also - you can reattach that window back to the main window by dragging and dropping that window on the main window top area.

I thought with the beta version that Dave Page released shortly before 1.6 was released, that I had gotten this to work, but now I'm not sure.

The other feature I wonder about is whether there is a setting to load the entire result into the window at once.  Right now, when I run a query, that returns say 13000 rows, it runs successfully.  When I grab the scroll bar to scroll to the bottom, it runs down through about 1000 records, then the scroll bar jumps halfway back up again, as it has obviously loaded another batch of records into the cache.  Is there any setting to change so that I can scroll to the bottom of the results without having to continually load records into the cache?  Any input would be much appreciated.

To load all rows you need to click on grid/column header to select all; So all rows will be fetched for selection purpose.

Inline image 1

To speed up the result loading process, we're loading the result sets on demand.
Because - earlier we were loading the whole result set, it was making difficult to render the result set, and it was taking too much time, and cpu to do so.

You can always increase the chunk size by following configuration,

1) Create config_local.py if that is not already present in pgadmin4/web folder

2) Add below in config_local.py and change the value to your one, But keep in mind that higher the value, slower the rendering process :)
(Default is 1000)
ON_DEMAND_RECORD_COUNT = 2000

3) Restart pgAdmin4 application.

--

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA: Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi

For tech details, I'm running this on a Windows 7, Intel i7, 16GB RAM.

On a personal note, I want to say that the 1.6 release of pgAdmin4 is a huge step for the software.  It is far more stable, loads faster, and seems to be approaching parity with what pgAdmin3 offered.  As someone who was pretty critical of the initial release of the software, I want to acknowledge that it is clear the developers have been working hard to address the concerns that were expressed.  It is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Russell