Re: autofreeze/vacuuming - avoiding the random performance hit

От Wei Shan
Тема Re: autofreeze/vacuuming - avoiding the random performance hit
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Did you put your entire database on SSD or just the WAL/indexes?

On 28 July 2015 at 23:39, Graeme B. Bell <graeme.bell@nibio.no> wrote:
Some of you may have had annoying problems in the past with autofreeze or autovacuum running at unexpected moments and dropping the performance of your server randomly.

On our SSD-RAID10 based system we found a 20GB table finished it's vacuum freeze in about 100 seconds. There were no noticeable interruptions to our services; maybe a tiny little bit of extra latency on the web maps, very hard to tell if it was real or imagination.

 If auto-stuff in postgresql has been a pain point for you in the past, I can confirm that SSD drives are a nice solution (and also for any other autovacuum/analyze type stuff) since they can handle incoming random IO very nicely while also making very fast progress with the housekeeping work.

Graeme Bell