Re: Patch to add support of "IF NOT EXISTS" to others "CREATE" statements

От Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Тема Re: Patch to add support of "IF NOT EXISTS" to others "CREATE" statements
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
use-casefor things like CREATE AGGREGATE<br /> > to have IF NOT EXISTS rather than OR REPLACE, or if there is a
reason<br/>> why both should exist?  Complicating our CREATE options is not something<br />> we really wish to do
withoutgood reason and we certainly don't want to<br /> > add something now that we'll wish to remove in another
Ihave a scenario with many servers to deploy DDL scripts, and most of them we must run without transaction control
becausesome tasks like CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY, DROP/CREATE DATABASE, CLUSTER, etc.<br /><br />When an error occurs
thescript stops, but the previous commands was commited, then we must review the script to comment parts that was
alreadyexecuted and then run it again. Until now is not a really trouble, but in some cases we must deploy another DDL
scriptthat contains a new version of some object before we finish to fix the previous version that was in production,
andif we have CINE for all CREATE objects this task will more easy because we just run it again without care if will
replacethe content and do not produce an error.<br /><br />I know that is a very specific case, but in my mind I don't
seeany problem to have CINE and COR to this objects. The behavior is totally different.<br /></div><div
/>Fabríziode Royes Mello<br />Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL<br />>> Timbira: <a
href="http://www.timbira.com.br">http://www.timbira.com.br</a><br/>>> Blog sobre TI: <a
href="http://fabriziomello.blogspot.com">http://fabriziomello.blogspot.com</a><br/> >> Perfil Linkedin: <a
href="http://br.linkedin.com/in/fabriziomello">http://br.linkedin.com/in/fabriziomello</a><br/>>> Twitter: <a