Re: [BUGS] BUG #14845: postgres_fdw and mysql_fdw can cause crash of instance

От Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Тема Re: [BUGS] BUG #14845: postgres_fdw and mysql_fdw can cause crash of instance
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 8:24 AM, <josef.machytka@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bug reference:      14845
> Logged by:          Josef Machytka
> Email address:      josef.machytka@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.6.5
> Operating system:   Debian 8
>
> Hi,
> I work from time to time with postgres_fdw and mysql_fdw and they both seem
> to have the same problem - they use too much memory if I query huge remote
> tables.
>
> Since I have seen this behavior before on our monitoring I decided to test
> it on testing instance with really huge amount of remote data which would
> not fit into memory.
>
> Behavior was as expected - postgesql started to use more and more memory
> until the whole available memory was used.
>
> After that in first case postgresql crashed (which was more or less OK
> because it restarted) but in second case the whole Debian instance crashed
> and did not want to start again even after repeated attempts. I did not
> fiddle with it and just recreated it but I even do not want to imagine if it
> would happen on some other hugely used instance.

OOMKiller?? What about your overcommit settings?

> This behavior limits usage of those fdw very significantly. I cannot allow
> other people to use foreign tables on really huge tables we have and I have
> to check sizes before I use some query which is expected to be "heavy"... Of
> course I would love to hear from someone that I should not use "heavy
> queries"... :-)
>
> So is there a way to for example force fdw to swap data into some temp file
> and not use so much memory?

Would be nice if you can provide to us a reproducible test case, so we can try to figure out what's happen...

> This behavior seems to not depend on work_mem
> setting...

No, work_mem is used for sorting purposes.

Regards,

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL