Re: proposal: new long psql parameter --on-error-stop

От Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Тема Re: proposal: new long psql parameter --on-error-stop
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 5:37 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> List of some variables (options) for use from command line.
> Complete list you find in psql section in the PostgreSQL documentation.
>
> psql variables:
> Usage:
>   psql --set=NAME=VALUE
>   or \set NAME VALUE in interactive mode
>
>   AUTOCOMMIT         when is on, successful SQL command is automatically commited
>   COMP_KEYWORD_CASE  determines which letter case to use when completing an SQL key word
>   ECHO               all lines from input can be written to standard output
>   ECHO_HIDDEN        display queries for internal commands (same as -E option)
>   FETCH_COUNT        how many rows should be for one page (default 0 unlimited)
>   HISTFILE           file name that be used for store history list
>   HISTSIZE           the number of commands to store in the command history
>   ON_ERROR_ROLLBACK  when is on, raise ROLLBACK on error automatically
>   ON_ERROR_STOP      when is set, then batch execution stop immediately after error
>   VERBOSITY          control verbosity of error reports [default, verbose, terse]
>
> Printing options:
> Usage:
>   psql --pset=NAME[=VALUE]
>   or \pset NAME [VALUE] in interactive mode
>
>   border             number of border style
>   fieldsep           specify field separator for unaligned output
>   fieldsep_zero      field separator in unaligned mode will be zero
>   format             set output format [unaligned, aligned, wrapped, html, latex, ..]
>   linestyle          sets the border line drawing style [ascii, old-ascii, unicode]
>   null               sets the string to be printed in place of a null value
>   pager              when the pager option is off, the pager program is not used
>   recordsep          specifies the record (line) separator to use in unaligned output format
>   recordsep_zero     record separator be in unaligned output format a zero byte
>   title              sets the table title for any subsequently printed tables
>   tuples_only        in tuples-only mode, only actual table data is shown
>
> Environment options:
> Usage:
>   NAME=VALUE, [NAME=VALUE] psql ...
>   or \setenv NAME [VALUE] in interactive mode
>
>   COLUMNS            number of columns for wrapped format
>   PAGER              used pager
>   PGHOST             same as the host connection parameter
>   PGDATABASE         same as the dbname connection parameter
>   PGUSER             same as the user connection parameter
>   PGPASSWORD         possibility to set password
>   PSQL_EDITOR, EDITOR, VISUAL  editor used by \e \ef commands
>   PSQL_EDITOR_LINE_NUMBER_ARG  style how to line number is used in editor
>   PSQL_HISTORY       alternative location for the command history file
>   PSQL_RC            alternative location of the user's .psqlrc file
>   SHELL              command executed by the \! command
>   TMPDIR             directory for storing temporary files
>
> For more information consult the psql section in the PostgreSQL

The patch is ok (apply to master and apply to master without errors).

Maybe we must show the possible values for each variable/option too.

Thinking more about it, would be nice if we have the possibility to show help for commands too. Some like that:

$ psql -H vacuum
Command:     VACUUM
Syntax:
VACUUM [ ( { FULL | FREEZE | VERBOSE | ANALYZE } [, ...] ) ] [ table_name [ (column_name [, ...] ) ] ]
VACUUM [ FULL ] [ FREEZE ] [ VERBOSE ] [ table_name ]
VACUUM [ FULL ] [ FREEZE ] [ VERBOSE ] ANALYZE [ table_name [ (column_name [, ...] ) ] ]

$ psql --help-command=vacuum
Command:     VACUUM
Syntax:
VACUUM [ ( { FULL | FREEZE | VERBOSE | ANALYZE } [, ...] ) ] [ table_name [ (column_name [, ...] ) ] ]
VACUUM [ FULL ] [ FREEZE ] [ VERBOSE ] [ table_name ]
VACUUM [ FULL ] [ FREEZE ] [ VERBOSE ] ANALYZE [ table_name [ (column_name [, ...] ) ] ]

It's only an idea that occurred to me reading this thread!

Grettings,

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL