Re: Patch to add support of "IF NOT EXISTS" to others "CREATE" statements

От Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Тема Re: Patch to add support of "IF NOT EXISTS" to others "CREATE" statements
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
href="mailto:fabriziomello@gmail.com">fabriziomello@gmail.com</a>>writes:<br /> > > On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at
11:12PM, Stephen Frost <<a href="mailto:sfrost@snowman.net">sfrost@snowman.net</a>> wrote:<br />> >>
Fabrízio,can you clarify the use-case for things like CREATE AGGREGATE<br /> > >> to have IF NOT EXISTS rather
thanOR REPLACE, or if there is a reason<br />> >> why both should exist?  Complicating our CREATE options is
notsomething<br />> >> we really wish to do without good reason and we certainly don't want to<br /> >
>>add something now that we'll wish to remove in another version or two.<br />><br />> > Well I have a
scenariowith many servers to deploy DDL scripts, and most of<br />> > them we must run without transaction
controlbecause some tasks like CREATE<br /> > > INDEX CONCURRENTLY, DROP/CREATE DATABASE, CLUSTER, etc.<br
/>><br/>> > When an error occurs the script stops, but the previous commands was<br />> > commited, then
wemust review the script to comment parts that was already<br /> > > executed and then run it again. Until now is
nota really trouble, but in<br />> > some cases we must deploy another DDL script that contains a new version
of<br/>> > some object before we finish to fix the previous version that was in<br /> > > production, and
ifwe have CINE for all CREATE objects this task will more<br />> > easy because we just run it again without care
becauseit will replace the object content... and in some cases this cannot happen because it will regress the schema to
anold version.<br /><br />I know it's a very specific use case, but in a scenario with many servers and many automated
tasksin different pipelines, CINE will be very useful. I have this kind of troubles mostly with functions (we use COR),
andsometimes we will discover that the production version of function is wrong after we receive a user notify, and in
/>Consultoria/CoachingPostgreSQ<br />>> Timbira: <a
href="http://www.timbira.com.br">http://www.timbira.com.br</a><br/> >> Blog sobre TI: <a
href="http://fabriziomello.blogspot.com">http://fabriziomello.blogspot.com</a><br/>>> Perfil Linkedin: <a
href="http://br.linkedin.com/in/fabriziomello">http://br.linkedin.com/in/fabriziomello</a><br/> >> Twitter: <a