Re: Postgres Query Plan Live Lock

От Pweaver (Paul Weaver)
Тема Re: Postgres Query Plan Live Lock
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 9:03 PM, Peter Geoghegan <peter.geoghegan86@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Pweaver (Paul Weaver)
<pweaver@panjiva.com> wrote:
> We have been running into a (live lock?) issue on our production Postgres
> instance causing queries referencing a particular table to become extremely
> slow and our application to lock up.

Livelock? Really? That would imply that the query would never finish.
A livelock is morally equivalent to an undetected deadlock.
Livelock is bad term.

> This tends to occur on a particular table that gets a lot of queries against
> it after a large number of deletes. When this happens, the following
> symptoms occur when queries referencing that table are run (even it we stop
> the deleting):
>
> SELECT * FROM table_name LIMIT 10;  -- takes ~45 seconds to complete
> EXPLAIN SELECT * FROM table_name LIMIT 10;  -- takes ~45 seconds to complete
> the explain query, the query plan looks reasonable
> EXPLAIN SELECT * FROM table_name LIMIT 10;  -- takes ~45 seconds to complete
> the explain analyze query, query plan looks reasonable, timing stats says
> query took sub millisecond time to complete

Why should explain analyze say that? You'd need to catch the problem
as it is run.

> SELECT * FROM another_table LIMIT 10; -- takes sub millisecond time
> EXPLAIN * FROM another_table LIMIT 10; -- takes sub millisecond time, query
> plan looks reasonable
>
> This behavior only stops and the queries go back to taking sub millisecond
> time if we take the application issuing the SELECTs offline and wait for the
> active queries to finish (or terminate them).
>
> There is not a particularly large load on the database machine at the time,
> neither are there a particularly large number of wal logs being written
> (although there is a burst of wal log writes immediately after the queue is
> cleared).

Are you aware of hint bits?

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Hint_Bits
No, but why would this cause the EXPLAIN queries to be slow?

--
Regards,
Peter Geoghegan

--
Thank You,

Сообщение: Re: Postgres Query Plan Live Lock
Сообщение: Re: Postgres Query Plan Live Lock