Re: Per-Database Roles

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: Per-Database Roles
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
>> The local role is preferred, the same way we allow objects in the local
>> schema to overshadow objects in the global schema.
>
> I would think we'd want the exact opposite.  I don't want my global
> 'postgres' user to be overwritten by some local one that the admin of
> this particular DB created..

In object-orientedness, the usual behaviour is for more specific
methods to override the more generic ones, which is reasonable.  I'm
not certain which direction is more to be preferred, whether:
a) To consider the global user as a default, to be overridden if possible, or
b) To consider the local user as the default, to be overridden if possible.
They're both tenable positions.

But I think I agree with Stephen, that what's desirable, with global
users, is to use them as the override.  They're gonna be expensive,
you should get something for the price :-).