Re: pg_basebackup: return value 1: reason?

От Andrej Vanek
Тема Re: pg_basebackup: return value 1: reason?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello Adrian,

I tried to use -U without "su"- launched directly by root: same behaviour.
Finally I reverted my script to use standard backup (pg_start_backup; rsync; pg_stop_backup)- this works- the only downside is possible collisions with on-line backup/synchronizaiton of other two nodes on master node...

Back to the pg_basebackup issue: it is clear to me that this is an issue of environment which launched pg_basebackup.
Possibly either some privileges or  some kernel parameters/limits. Who knows?

How can I report to clusterlabs: What system call fails in pg_basebackup?

Best Regards, Andrej

Is the su - even necessary?

pg_basebackup is a Postgres client program you can specify the user you want it to connect to using -U.

Or do you need the script to run as postgres in order to get permissions on wherever you are creating the backup directory?

have to find out why pg_basebackup cannot fork when launched from crm_mon.

I assume crm_mon is this:

http://linux.die.net/man/8/crm_mon

from Pacemaker.

I do not use Pacemaker, but I am pretty sure that running what is a monitoring program in daemon mode and then shelling out to another program is not workable. The docs seem to bear this out:

http://clusterlabs.org/wiki/PgSQL_Replicated_Cluster#Installation

https://github.com/smbambling/pgsql_ha_cluster/wiki/Building-A-Highly-Available-Multi-Node-PostgreSQL-Cluster