Re: Disable WAL completely - Performance and Persistency research

От Netanel Katzburg
Тема Re: Disable WAL completely - Performance and Persistency research
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

You were right, the method you described worked well. Thanks you!

But so far, could not get any noticeable improvement in Number of transactions / latency.

I have tried:
1.  At xlog.c, CopyXLogRecordToWAL(int write_len, bool isLogSwitch, XLogRecData *rdata,
XLogRecPtr StartPos, XLogRecPtr EndPos), Commenting the memcpy syscall:

memcpy(currpos, rdata_data, rdata_len);

2. XLogInsert(RmgrId rmid, uint8 info), the primary insert function in xloginsert.c.
I tried commenting the following line at this function, so I can return a phony pointer every time the function is called,  just as in bootstrap mode.
if (IsBootstrapProcessingMode() && rmid != RM_XLOG_ID)

3. At xlog.c, XLogInsertRecord(XLogRecData *rdata, XLogRecPtr fpw_lsn).
Commenting the WALInsertLock(s), as well as, commenting the spinlocks around - Update shared LogwrtRqst. (Write, if we crossed page boundary.)

4. The last thing I tried regarding XLogInsertRecord function is to comment:
"/*

* All the record data, including the header, is now ready to be

* inserted. Copy the record in the space reserved.

*/

CopyXLogRecordToWAL(rechdr->xl_tot_len, isLogSwitch, rdata,

StartPos, EndPos);"

Regards,
Netanel