Re: Stored procedure code no longer stored in v14 and v15, changed behaviour

От Dominique Devienne
Тема Re: Stored procedure code no longer stored in v14 and v15, changed behaviour
Дата
Re: Stored procedure code no longer stored in v14 and v15, changed behaviour  ("Martijn Tonies \(Upscene Productions\)" <m.tonies@upscene.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 6:41 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> On 12/1/22 09:24, Dominique Devienne wrote:
> > I guess is a DBA-versus-Developer point-of-view difference. --DD
>
> What this points to is that there are multiple ways to handle this, many
> external to the server itself. My take is that the system catalogs are
> there for the proper operation of the server and that is their task,
> first and foremost. If you can piggyback of that then great, but with
> the knowledge that the information may change to meet the needs of the
> server not external users.

I see. Still, Oracle preserves SQL as-is. SQLite preserve SQL as-is.
Would be nice if PostgreSQL did too. That's all I'm saying.

Having in libpq functionality that allows to do the same kind of SQL
normalization / rewriting done server-side would help. Then I could use
that to generate the DDL "just right" the first time.

For now, our current work-around is a two step process.
We first generate at-build-time the DDL using "our syntax" and
instantiate the schema.
Then introspect that and re-generate code with the "rewritten syntax".
Subsequent generation (it's dynamic, at runtime) will use the re-generated code
that matches the syntax re-write. Thus now the introspection and
diff'ing match the in-memory DDL.
Still, that's a PITA. I of course don't contest that PostgreSQL
maintains what it needs.
But ALSO maintaining the original, at least until a re-write is
necessary on renames,
would go A LONG WAY to satisfy the OP and myself in our use-cases. FWIW. --DD

Сообщение: Re: how to secure pg_hba.conf
Сообщение: Re: how to secure pg_hba.conf