Re: Stored procedure code no longer stored in v14 and v15, changed behaviour

От Dominique Devienne
Тема Re: Stored procedure code no longer stored in v14 and v15, changed behaviour
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 5:10 PM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
> On Thu, 2022-12-01 at 16:38 +0100, Dominique Devienne wrote:
> > FWIW, we have a custom schema introspection and diff'ing ad-hoc framework,
>
> This is arguable, but my opinion is that this is not a robust way to
> do development.  You should use a schema versioning tool like Liquibase,
> develop schema migration scripts and maintain the SQL code in a source
> repository like other software.

We don't maintain SQL. We maintain a *Logical* model, and generate the
physical model from it.
FKs, NKs, Enums, CHECK constraints, indexes, etc.. all that
"implementation details"
is programmatically generated, and always consistent, from a much
higher-level and simpler model.
And you also get auto-upgrade most of the time, greatly increasing
development velocity too.

I would argue that NOT doing it this way, is the non-robust way myself :)
We've been refactoring a large data-model maintained manually like you advocate,
and I can't tell you how many anomalies we've discovered and had to fix,
using the more robust formalism of using a high-level logical model
and (DDL) code gen.

I guess is a DBA-versus-Developer point-of-view difference. --DD