Re: How to store "blobs" efficiently for small and large sizes, with random access

От Dominique Devienne
Тема Re: How to store "blobs" efficiently for small and large sizes, with random access
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 3:01 PM Daniel Verite <daniel@manitou-mail.org> wrote:
>         Dominique Devienne wrote:
> > the fact the lo table is unique for the whole database would allow
> > users to see blobs from any schema, as I understand it.

> Each large object has its own set of permissions. This is a significant
> difference with bytea, since every creation of a new large object
> may need to be followed by GRANT statements.
> Also if the roles and the access policies are changed in the
> lifetime of the app, that might imply massive REVOKE/GRANT
> statements to apply to existing objects.

Thank you Daniel. Very interesting, and something I definitely didn't know.

I believe that's doable, given our design on ROLEs, but would for sure
be both a PITA, and
additional management / code to deal with. At least GRANTs are
transactional like the new
LO oids themselves, I think, so now I know it would be possible to
properly secure the LOs.

This insight is greatly appreciated. --DD