Re: speed up verifying UTF-8

От John Naylor
Тема Re: speed up verifying UTF-8
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

I wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 10:42 AM Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
> >

> > If
> > we're processing much more than 128 bits and happy to detect NUL
> > errors only at the end after wasting some work then you could hoist
> > that has_zero check entirely out of the loop (removing the branch
> > though it's probably a correctly predicted branch anyways).
> >
> > Do something like:
> >
> > zero_accumulator = zero_accumulator & next_chunk
> >
> > in the loop and then only at the very end check for zeros in that.
>
> That's the approach taken in the SSE4 patch, and in fact that's the logical way to do it there. I hadn't considered doing it that way in the pure C case, but I think it's worth trying.

Actually, I spoke too quickly. We can't have an error accumulator in the C case because we need to return how many bytes were valid. In fact, in the SSE case, it checks the error vector at the end and then reruns with the fallback case to count the valid bytes.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com