Re: New strategies for freezing, advancing relfrozenxid early

От John Naylor
Тема Re: New strategies for freezing, advancing relfrozenxid early
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 10:11 AM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> I am. Just not every tradeoff. I just don't see any useful tradeoffs purely
> based on the relation size.

I expressed reservations about relation size six weeks ago:

On Wed, Dec 14, 2022 at 12:16 AM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 12:29 AM John Naylor
> <john.naylor@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> > If the number of unfrozen heap pages is the thing we care about, perhaps that, and not the total size of the table, should be the parameter that drives freezing strategy?
>
> That's not the only thing we care about, though.

That was followed by several paragraphs that never got around to explaining why table size should drive freezing strategy. Review is a feedback mechanism alerting the patch author to possible problems. Listening to feedback is like vacuum, in a way: If it hurts, you're not doing it enough.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com