Re: disfavoring unparameterized nested loops

От John Naylor
Тема Re: disfavoring unparameterized nested loops
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 6:20 AM Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh.bapat.oss@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have not come across many papers which leverage this idea. Googling
> "selectivity estimation confidence interval", does not yield many
> papers. Although I found [1] to be using a similar idea. So may be
> there's not merit in this idea, thought theoretically it sounds fine
> to me.
>

> [1] https://pi3.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/~moer/Publications/vldb18_smpl_synop.pdf

Well, that paper's title shows it's a bit too far forward for us, since we don't use samples during plan time (although that's a separate topic worth considering). From the references, however, this one gives some mathematical framing of the problem that lead to the thread subject, although I haven't read enough to see if we can get practical advice from it:

Y. E. Ioannidis and S. Christodoulakis. On the propagation of errors in the size of join results.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com