Re: fetching bytea (blob) data of 850 MB from psql client failed

От John Naylor
Тема Re: fetching bytea (blob) data of 850 MB from psql client failed
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 1:02 PM jitesh tiwari <jitesh120@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
> Thanks for those details.
> The database table for bytea columns has binary data data and some are not text. Hence, when it tried to fetch by
changingthe bytea_output to 'escape' it failed again with the below error -

> VERROR; result of bytea output conversion is too large(File varlena.c; Line 415; Routine byteaout; ).
> BTW, is there any plan to fix this issue in the PostgreSQL backend code in near future?

Unfortunately, there is no plan as there is no consensus on how to
approach the issue. It seems the possible actions are (easiest to
hardest):

1. Document that bytea is unsafe  -- you can insert anything you like,
but you may be unable to retrieve it again.
2. Determine some maximum size that guarantees accessibility and
invent a GUC that by default prevents inserting larger values than
that.
3. Fix the issue properly.

#2 and #3 are challenging for reasons given in the thread I linked to above.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: BUG #17602: Query backend process killed because it uses up all memory.
От: Richard Guo
Сообщение: Re: foreign join error "variable not found in subplan target list"