Re: do only critical work during single-user vacuum?

От John Naylor
Тема Re: do only critical work during single-user vacuum?
Дата
Re: do only critical work during single-user vacuum?  (Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 12:46 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 7:04 AM Bossart, Nathan <bossartn@amazon.com> wrote:
> >
> > I guess I'm ultimately imagining the new options as replacing the
> > vacuumdb implementation.  IOW vacuumdb would just use MIN_(M)XID_AGE
> > behind the scenes (as would a new top-level command).
>
> I had the same idea.

This seems to be the motivating reason for wanting new configurability
on the server side. In any case, new knobs are out of scope for this
thread. If the use case is compelling enough, may I suggest starting a
new thread?

Regarding the thread subject, I've been playing with the grammar, and
found it's quite easy to have

VACUUM FOR WRAPAROUND
or
VACUUM FOR EMERGENCY

since FOR is a reserved word (and following that can be an IDENT plus
a strcmp check) and cannot conflict with table names. This sounds a
bit more natural than VACUUM LIMIT. Opinions?

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com