Re: [HACKERS] [PROPOSAL] Effective storage of duplicates in B-tree index.

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема Re: [HACKERS] [PROPOSAL] Effective storage of duplicates in B-tree index.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 12:33 PM Alexander Korotkov
<a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:

> Hi, Tomas!
>
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 6:26 PM, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 08/31/2015 09:41 AM, Anastasia Lubennikova wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm going to begin work on effective storage of duplicate keys in B-tree
>>> The main idea is to implement posting lists and posting trees for B-tree
>>> index pages as it's already done for GIN.
>>>
>>> In a nutshell, effective storing of duplicates in GIN is organised as
>>> follows.
>>> Index stores single index tuple for each unique key. That index tuple
>>> points to posting list which contains pointers to heap tuples (TIDs). If
>>> too many rows having the same key, multiple pages are allocated for the
>>> TIDs and these constitute so called posting tree.
>>> You can find wonderful detailed descriptions in gin readme
>>> <https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/master/src/backend/access/gin/README>
>>> and articles <http://www.cybertec.at/gin-just-an-index-type/>.
>>> It also makes possible to apply compression algorithm to posting
>>> list/tree and significantly decrease index size. Read more in
>>> presentation (part 1)
>>> <http://www.pgcon.org/2014/schedule/attachments/329_PGCon2014-GIN.pdf>.
>>>
>>> Now new B-tree index tuple must be inserted for each table row that we
>>> It can possibly cause page split. Because of MVCC even unique index
>>> could contain duplicates.
>>> Storing duplicates in posting list/tree helps to avoid superfluous splits.
>>>
>>> So it seems to be very useful improvement. Of course it requires a lot
>>> of changes in B-tree implementation, so I need approval from community.
>>

>> In general, index size is often a serious issue - cases where indexes need more space than tables are not quite
uncommonin my experience. So I think the efforts to lower space requirements for indexes are good.

>> But if we introduce posting lists into btree indexes, how different are they from GIN? It seems to me that if I
createa GIN index (using btree_gin), I do get mostly the same thing you propose, no?

> Yes, In general GIN is a btree with effective duplicates handling + support of splitting single datums into multiple
keys.
> This proposal is mostly porting duplicates handling from GIN to btree.

Is it worth to make a provision to add an ability to control how
duplicates are sorted ?  If we speak about GIN, why not take into
account our experiments with RUM (https://github.com/postgrespro/rum)
?

>> Sure, there are differences - GIN indexes don't handle UNIQUE indexes,
>

> The difference between btree_gin and btree is not only UNIQUE feature.
> 1) There is no gingettuple in GIN. GIN supports only bitmap scans. And it's not feasible to add gingettuple to GIN.
Atleast with same semantics as it is in btree.
> 2) GIN doesn't support multicolumn indexes in the way btree does. Multicolumn GIN is more like set of separate
singlecolumnGINs: it doesn't have composite keys.
> 3) btree_gin can't effectively handle range searches. "a < x < b" would be hangle as "a < x" intersect "x < b". That
isextremely inefficient. It is possible to fix. However, there is no clear proposal how to fit this case into GIN
interface,yet.

>> but the compression can only be effective when there are duplicate rows. So either the index is not UNIQUE (so the
b-treefeature is not needed), or there are many updates.

> From my observations users can use btree_gin only in some cases. They like compression, but can't use btree_gin
mostlybecause of #1.

>> Which brings me to the other benefit of btree indexes - they are designed for high concurrency. How much is this
goingto be affected by introducing the posting lists?

> I'd notice that current duplicates handling in PostgreSQL is hack over original btree. It is designed so in btree
accessmethod in PostgreSQL, not btree in general.
> Posting lists shouldn't change concurrency much. Currently, in btree you have to lock one page exclusively when
you'reinserting new value.
> When posting list is small and fits one page you have to do similar thing: exclusive lock of one page to insert new
value.
> When you have posting tree, you have to do exclusive lock on one page of posting tree.
>
> One can say that concurrency would became worse because index would become smaller and number of pages would became
smallertoo. Since number of pages would be smaller, backends are more likely concur for the same page. But this
argumentcan be user against any compression and for any bloat.

От: Dean Rasheed
Сообщение: Re: BF failure: could not open relation with OID XXXX while querying pg_views
От: Oleg Bartunov
Сообщение: Re: pglz performance