Re: "A huge debt of gratitude" - Michael Stonebraker

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема Re: "A huge debt of gratitude" - Michael Stonebraker
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Wed,Jul 22, 2015 at 1:42 AM, Jolly Chen <span dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:jolly@chenfamily.com"
.8ex;border-left:1px#ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hey everyone,<br /><br /> You have probably heard that Mike
Stonebrakerrecently won the Turing award.  A recording of his award lecture is available at:<br /><a
href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGeKi6T6QI"rel="noreferrer"
fastforward to about the 1:07 mark, he makes some comments about postgres.<br /><br /> Here’s my rough
transcription:<br/><br /> "The abstract data type system in postgres has been added to a lot of relational database
systems.It's kind of de facto table stakes for relational databases these days, essentially intact.  That idea was
reallya good one. It was mentioned in the citation for my Turing award winning.  However, serendipity played a huge
role,which is, the biggest impact of postgres by far came from two Berkeley students that I'll affectionately call
Grumpyand Sleepy.  They converted the academic postgres prototype from QUEL to SQL in 1995. This was in parallel to the
commercialactivity. And then a pick-up team of volunteers, none of whom have anything to do with me or Berkeley, have
beenshepherding that open source system ever since 1995. The system that you get off the web for postgres comes from
thispick-up team.  It is open source at its best and I want to just mention that I have nothing to do with that and
thatcollection of folks we all owe a huge debt of gratitude to, because they have robustize that code line and made it