Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"

От Geoff Winkless
Тема Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 4 May 2016 at 17:14, Will McCormick <wmccormick@gmail.com> wrote:
> Examples:  Companies buy other companies - You are using a competitors data store and want to replace it.  Company
needsto compete with competitors and wants to reduce cost ...

Or, let's say, massive multibillion-dollar DBMS competitor buys
smaller but very popular DBMS and steadily increases license costs to
try to price out that database and force its customers to its own,
extortionately expensive, database.

Completely hypothetically, of course.

> The reality is somewhere in the middle as it often is. My point is you don't have to replace a million lines of code
ifyou plan upfront. If you don't .. you do.

Chances are you do anyway. Since no engine is perfect, at some point
you will (assuming it's a non-trivial store) have had to have made
modifications to the data structures or the queries you run to
optimise to a particular DBMS.

But you're right, if you've started out well, it will at least
minimise the amount of change.

Geoff

От: Will McCormick
Сообщение: Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"
От: Szymon Lipiński
Сообщение: Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"