Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose

От Matthias van de Meent
Тема Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 17 May 2024 at 15:02, Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:

> On 17.05.24 09:32, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> > Dunno about having to click a link or sparkly gold borders, but +1 on
> > having a free-form text box for notes like that. Things like "cfbot says
> > this has bitrotted" or "Will review this after other patch this depends
> > on". On the mailing list, notes like that are both noisy and easily lost
> > in the threads. But as a little free-form text box on the commitfest, it
> > would be handy.
> >
> > One risk is that if we start to rely too much on that, or on the other
> > fields in the commitfest app for that matter, we de-value the mailing
> > list archives. I'm not too worried about it, the idea is that the
> > summary box just summarizes what's already been said on the mailing
> > list, or is transient information like "I'll get to this tomorrow"
> > that's not interesting to archive.
>
> We already have the annotations feature, which is kind of this.

But annotations are bound to mails in attached mail threads, rather
than a generic text input at the CF entry level. There isn't always an
appropriate link between (mail or in-person) conversations about the
patch, and a summary of that conversation.

----

The CommitFest App has several features, but contains little
information about how we're expected to use it. To start addressing
this limitation, I've just created a wiki page about the CFA [0], with
a handbook section. Feel free to extend or update the information as
appropriate; I've only added that information the best of my
knowledge, so it may contain wrong, incomplete and/or inaccurate
information.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent

[0] https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest_App