Re: Disabling Heap-Only Tuples

От Matthias van de Meent
Тема Re: Disabling Heap-Only Tuples
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 at 17:57, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 28, 2023 at 11:50 AM Matthias van de Meent
> <boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Agreed on all points. But isn't that true for most most tools on bloat
> > prevention and/or detection? E.g. fillfactor, autovacuum_*, ...
>
> Not nearly to the same extent, IMHO. A lot of those parameters can be
> left alone forever and you lose nothing. That's not so here.

I've reworked the patch a bit to remove the "excessive bloat with low
fillfactors when local space is available" issue that this parameter
could cause - local updates are now done if the selected page we would
be inserting into is after the old tuple's page and the old tuple's
page still (or: now) has space available.

Does that alleviate your concerns?

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent
Neon (https://neon.tech)