Re: Disabling Heap-Only Tuples

От Matthias van de Meent
Тема Re: Disabling Heap-Only Tuples
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 at 15:13, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2023, 13:58 Laurenz Albe, <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
>> I agree that the name "max_local_update" could be improved.
>> Perhaps "avoid_hot_above_size_mb".
>
> Or "hot_table_size_threshold" or "hot_update_limit"?

Although I like these names, it doesn't quite cover the use of the
parameter for me, as updated tuples prefer to be inserted on the same
page as the old tuple regardless of whether HOT applies.

Example: a bloated table test(
   id int primary key,
   num_updates int,
   unique (id, num_updates)
)
would be assumed to remain bloated if I'd set a parameter named
something_hot_something, as all updates would be non-hot and thus
should not be influenced by the GUC/parameter.

How about 'local_update_limit'?

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent