Re: Optimizing nbtree ScalarArrayOp execution, allowing multi-column ordered scans, skip scan

От Matthias van de Meent
Тема Re: Optimizing nbtree ScalarArrayOp execution, allowing multi-column ordered scans, skip scan
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 21 Oct 2023 at 00:40, Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 15, 2023 at 1:50 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> > Attached is v4, which applies cleanly on top of HEAD. This was needed
> > due to Alexandar Korotkov's commit e0b1ee17, "Skip checking of scan
> > keys required for directional scan in B-tree".
> >
> > Unfortunately I have more or less dealt with the conflicts on HEAD by
> > disabling the optimization from that commit, for the time being.
>
> Attached is v5, which deals with the conflict with the optimization
> added by Alexandar Korotkov's commit e0b1ee17 sensibly: the
> optimization is now only disabled in cases without array scan keys.
> (It'd be very hard to make it work with array scan keys, since an
> important principle for my patch is that we can change search-type
> scan keys right in the middle of any _bt_readpage() call).

I'm planning on reviewing this patch tomorrow, but in an initial scan
through the patch I noticed there's little information about how the
array keys state machine works in this new design. Do you have a more
toplevel description of the full state machine used in the new design?
If not, I'll probably be able to discover my own understanding of the
mechanism used in the patch, but if there is a framework to build that
understanding on (rather than having to build it from scratch) that'd
be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent
Neon (https://neon.tech)