Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework

От Matthias van de Meent
Тема Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Greg, Jelte,

On Sat, 15 Jun 2024 at 23:53, Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 15, 2024 at 12:48 PM Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres@jeltef.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Afaict, there's a significant part of our current community who feel the same way (and I'm pretty sure every sub-30 year old person who
>> newly joins the community would feel the exact same way too).

I feel I'm still relatively new (started in the past 4 years) and I have quite some time left before I hit 30 years of age.

I don't specifically feel the way you describe, nor do I think I've ever really felt like that in the previous nearly 4 years of hacking. Then again, I'm not interested in testing frameworks, so I don't feel much at all about which test frameworks we use.

> Those young-uns are also the same group who hold their nose when coding in C, and are always clamoring for rewriting Postgres in Rust.

Could you point me to one occasion I have 'always' clamored for this, or any of "those young-uns" in the community? I may not be a huge fan of C, but rewriting PostgreSQL in [other language] is not on the list of things I'm clamoring for. I may have given off-hand mentions that [other language] would've helped in certain cases, sure, but I'd hardly call that clamoring.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent