Re: GenBKI emits useless open;close for catalogs without rows

От Matthias van de Meent
Тема Re: GenBKI emits useless open;close for catalogs without rows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 19 Sept 2023 at 20:05, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:

> On 18/09/2023 17:50, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
> > (initdb takes about 73ms locally with syncing disabled)
>
> That's impressive. It takes about 600 ms on my laptop. Of which about
> 140 ms goes into processing the BKI file. And that's with "initdb
> -no-sync" option.

Hmm, yes, I misinterpreted my own benchmark setup, the actual value
would be somewhere around 365ms: I thought I was doing 50*50 runs in
one timed run, but really I was doing only 50 runs. TO add insult to
injury, I divided the total time taken by 250 instead of either 50 or
2500... Thanks for correcting me on that.

> > Various methods of reducing the size of postgres.bki were applied, as
> > detailed in the patch's commit message. I believe the current output
> > is still quite human readable.
>
> Overall this does not seem very worthwhile to me.

Reducing the size of redistributables sounds worthwhile to me, but if
none of these changes are worth the effort, then alright, nothing
gained, only time lost.

> Looking at "perf" profile of initdb, I also noticed that a small but
> measurable amount of time is spent in the "isatty(0)" call in do_end().
> Does anyone care about doing bootstrap mode interactively? We could
> probably remove that.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent