Re: Next Steps with Hash Indexes

От Matthias van de Meent
Тема Re: Next Steps with Hash Indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 at 12:58, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 2:32 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 6:50 AM Simon Riggs <simon.riggs@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> > > With unique data, starting at 1 and monotonically ascending, hash
> > > indexes will grow very nicely from 0 to 10E7 rows without causing >1
> > > overflow block to be allocated for any bucket. This keeps the search
> > > time for such data to just 2 blocks (bucket plus, if present, 1
> > > overflow block). The small number of overflow blocks is because of the
> > > regular and smooth way that splits occur, which works very nicely
> > > without significant extra latency.
> >
> > It is my impression that with non-unique data things degrade rather
> > badly.
> >

> But we will hold the bucket lock only for unique-index in which case
> there shouldn't be non-unique data in the index.

Even in unique indexes there might be many duplicate index entries: A
frequently updated row, to which HOT cannot apply, whose row versions
are waiting for vacuum (which is waiting for that one long-running
transaction to commit) will have many entries in each index.

Sure, it generally won't hit 10E7 duplicates, but we can hit large
numbers of duplicates fast on a frequently updated row. Updating one
row 1000 times between two runs of VACUUM is not at all impossible,
and although I don't think it happens all the time, I do think it can
happen often enough on e.g. an HTAP system to make it a noteworthy
test case.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent