Re: Adding facility for injection points (or probe points?) for more advanced tests

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: Adding facility for injection points (or probe points?) for more advanced tests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 4, 2024 at 5:23 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> > 0003 and 0004 add tests to the test_injection_points module.  Is the idea
> > that we'd add any tests that required injection points here?  I think it'd
> > be better if we could move the tests closer to the logic they're testing,
> > but perhaps that is difficult because you also need to define the callback
> > functions somewhere.  Hm...
>
> Yeah.  Agreed that the final result should not have these tests in the
> module test_injection_points.  What I was thinking here is to move
> 002_invalid_checkpoint_after_promote.pl to src/test/recovery/ and pull
> the module with the callbacks with an EXTRA_INSTALL.

0003 and 0004 are using the extension in this module for some serious
testing. The name of the extension test_injection_point indicates that
it's for testing injection points and not for some serious use of
injection callbacks it adds. Changes 0003 and 0004 suggest otherwise.
I suggest we move test_injection_points from src/test/modules to
contrib/ and rename it as "injection_points". The test files may still
be named as test_injection_point. The TAP tests in 0003 and 0004 once
moved to their appropriate places, will load injection_point extension
and use it. That way predefined injection point callbacks will also be
available for others to use.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat