Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2
Дата
Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2  (Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 11:01 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On 5/18/23 16:23, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Sorry for jumping late in this thread.
> >
> > I started experimenting with the functionality. Maybe something that
> > was already discussed earlier. Given that the thread is being
> > discussed for so long and has gone several changes, revalidating the
> > functionality is useful.
> >
> > I considered following aspects:
> > Changes to the sequence on subscriber
> > 1. Since this is logical decoding, logical replica is writable. So the
> > logically replicated sequence can be manipulated on the subscriber as
> > well. This implementation consolidates the changes on subscriber and
> > publisher rather than replicating the publisher state as is. That's
> > good. See example command sequence below
> > a. publisher calls nextval() - this sets the sequence state on
> > publisher as (1, 32, t) which is replicated to the subscriber.
> > b. subscriber calls nextval() once - this sets the sequence state on
> > subscriber as (34, 32, t)
> > c. subscriber calls nextval() 32 times - on-disk state of sequence
> > doesn't change on subscriber
> > d. subscriber calls nextval() 33 times - this sets the sequence state
> > on subscriber as (99, 0, t)
> > e. publisher calls nextval() 32 times - this sets the sequence state
> > on publisher as (33, 0, t)
> >
> > The on-disk state on publisher at the end of e. is replicated to the
> > subscriber but subscriber doesn't apply it. The state there is still
> > (99, 0, t). I think this is closer to how logical replication of
> > sequence should look like. This is aso good enough as long as we
> > expect the replication of sequences to be used for failover and
> > switchover.
> >

> I'm really confused - are you describing what the patch is doing, or
> what you think it should be doing? Because right now there's nothing
> that'd "consolidate" the changes (in the sense of reconciling write
> conflicts), and there's absolutely no way to do that.
>
> So if the subscriber advances the sequence (which it technically can),
> the subscriber state will be eventually be discarded and overwritten
> when the next increment gets decoded from WAL on the publisher.

I described what I observed in my experiments. My observation doesn't
agree with your description. I will revisit this when I review the
output plugin changes and the WAL receiver changes.

> Yes, I agree with this. It's probably better to replicate just the next
> value, without the log_cnt / is_called fields (which are implementation
> specific).

Ok. I will review the logic once you revise the patches.

> > 3. Primary key sequences
> > -----------------------------------
> > I am not experimented with this. But I think we will need to add the
> > sequences associated with the primary keys to the publications
> > publishing the owner tables. Otherwise, we will have problems with the
> > failover. And it needs to be done automatically since a. the names of
> > these sequences are generated automatically b. publications with FOR
> > ALL TABLES will add tables automatically and start replicating the
> > changes. Users may not be able to intercept the replication activity
> > to add the associated sequences are also addedto the publication.
> >

> Right, this idea was mentioned before, and I agree maybe we should
> consider adding some of those "automatic" sequences automatically.

Are you planning to add this in the same patch set or separately?

I reviewed 0001 and related parts of 0004 and 0008 in detail.

I have only one major change request, about
typedef struct xl_seq_rec
{
RelFileLocator locator;
+ bool created; /* creates a new relfilenode (CREATE/ALTER) */

I am not sure what are the repercussions of adding a member to an existing WAL
record. I didn't see any code which handles the old WAL format which doesn't
contain the "created" flag. IIUC, the logical decoding may come across
a WAL record written in the old format after upgrade and restart. Is
that not possible?

But I don't think it's necessary. We can add a
decoding routine for RM_SMGR_ID. The decoding routine will add relfilelocator
in XLOG_SMGR_CREATE record to txn->sequences hash. Rest of the logic will work
as is. Of course we will add non-sequence relfilelocators as well but that
should be fine. Creating a new relfilelocator shouldn't be a frequent
operation. If at all we are worried about that, we can add only the
relfilenodes associated with sequences to the hash table.

If this idea has been discussed earlier, please point me to the relevant
discussion.

Some other minor comments and nitpicks.

- are required, while <function>stream_message_cb</function> and
+ are required, while <function>stream_message_cb</function>,
+ <function>stream_sequence_cb</function> and

Like the non-streaming counterpart, should we also mention what happens if those
callbacks are not defined? That applies to stream_message_cb and
stream_truncate_cb too.
+ /*
+ * Make sure the subtransaction has a XID assigned, so that the sequence
+ * increment WAL record is properly associated with it. This matters for
+ * increments of sequences created/altered in the transaction, which are
+ * handled as transactional.
+ */
+ if (XLogLogicalInfoActive())
+ GetCurrentTransactionId();

GetCurrentTransactionId() will also assign xids to all the parents so it
doesn't seem necessary to call both GetTopTransactionId() and
GetCurrentTransactionId(). Calling only the latter should suffice. Applies to
all the calls to GetCurrentTransactionId().

+
+ memcpy(((char *) tuple->tuple.t_data),
+ data + sizeof(xl_seq_rec),
+ SizeofHeapTupleHeader);
+
+ memcpy(((char *) tuple->tuple.t_data) + SizeofHeapTupleHeader,
+ data + sizeof(xl_seq_rec) + SizeofHeapTupleHeader,
+ datalen);

The memory chunks being copied in these memcpy calls are contiguous. Why don't
we use a single memcpy? For readability?

+ * If we don't have snapshot or we are just fast-forwarding, there is no
+ * point in decoding messages.

s/decoding messages/decoding sequence changes/

+ tupledata = XLogRecGetData(r);
+ datalen = XLogRecGetDataLen(r);
+ tuplelen = datalen - SizeOfHeapHeader - sizeof(xl_seq_rec);
+
+ /* extract the WAL record, with "created" flag */
+ xlrec = (xl_seq_rec *) XLogRecGetData(r);

I think we should set tupledata = xlrec + sizeof(xl_seq_rec) so that it points
to actual tuple data. This will also simplify the calculations in
DecodeSeqTule().
+/* entry for hash table we use to track sequences created in running xacts */

s/running/transaction being decoded/ ?

+
+ /* search the lookup table (we ignore the return value, found is enough) */
+ ent = hash_search(rb->sequences,
+ (void *) &rlocator,
+ created ? HASH_ENTER : HASH_FIND,
+ &found);

Misleading comment. We seem to be using the return value later.

+ /*
+ * When creating the sequence, remember the XID of the transaction
+ * that created id.
+ */
+ if (created)
+ ent->xid = xid;

Should we set ent->locator as well? The sequence won't get cleaned otherwise.

+
+ TeardownHistoricSnapshot(false);
+
+ AbortCurrentTransaction();

This call to AbortCurrentTransaction() in PG_TRY should be called if only this
block started the transaction?

+ PG_CATCH();
+ {
+ TeardownHistoricSnapshot(true);
+
+ AbortCurrentTransaction();

Shouldn't we do this only if this block started the transaction? And in that
case, wouldn't PG_RE_THROW take care of it?

+/*
+ * Helper function for ReorderBufferProcessTXN for applying sequences.
+ */
+static inline void
+ReorderBufferApplySequence(ReorderBuffer *rb, ReorderBufferTXN *txn,
+ Relation relation, ReorderBufferChange *change,
+ bool streaming)

Possibly we should find a way to call this function from
ReorderBufferQueueSequence() when processing non-transactional sequence change.
It should probably absorb logic common to both the cases.

+
+ if (RelationIsLogicallyLogged(relation))
+ ReorderBufferApplySequence(rb, txn, relation, change, streaming);

This condition is not used in ReorderBufferQueueSequence() when processing
non-transactional change there. Why?
+
+ if (len)
+ {
+ memcpy(data, &tup->tuple, sizeof(HeapTupleData));
+ data += sizeof(HeapTupleData);
+
+ memcpy(data, tup->tuple.t_data, len);
+ data += len;
+ }
+

We are just copying the sequence data. Shouldn't we copy the file locator as
well or that's not needed once the change has been queued? Similarly for
ReorderBufferChangeSize() and ReorderBufferChangeSize()

+ /*
+ * relfilenode => XID lookup table for sequences created in a transaction
+ * (also includes altered sequences, which assigns new relfilenode)
+ */
+ HTAB *sequences;
+

Better renamed as seq_rel_locator or some such. Shouldn't this be part of
ReorderBufferTxn which has similar transaction specific hashes.

I will continue reviewing the remaining patches.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat