Re: partitioning and identity column

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: partitioning and identity column
Дата
Re: partitioning and identity column  (Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6@gmail.com>)
Re: partitioning and identity column  (Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Apr 28, 2024 at 12:29 PM Alexander Lakhin <exclusion@gmail.com> wrote:
27.04.2024 18:00, Alexander Lakhin wrote:

> Please look also at another script, which produces the same error:

I've discovered yet another problematic case:
CREATE TABLE tbl1 (a int GENERATED ALWAYS AS IDENTITY, b text)
     PARTITION BY LIST (a);
CREATE TABLE tbl2 (b text, a int NOT NULL);
ALTER TABLE tbl1 ATTACH PARTITION tbl2 DEFAULT;

INSERT INTO tbl2 DEFAULT VALUES;
ERROR:  no owned sequence found

Though it works with tbl2(a int NOT NULL, b text)...
Take a look at this too, please.

Thanks Alexander for the report.

PFA patch which fixes all the three problems.

I had not fixed getIdentitySequence() to fetch identity sequence associated with the partition because I thought it would be better to fail with an error when it's not used correctly. But these bugs show 1. the error is misleading and unwanted 2. there are more places where adding that logic to  getIdentitySequence() makes sense. Fixed the function in these patches. Now callers like transformAlterTableStmt have to be careful not to call the function on a partition.

I have examined all the callers of getIdentitySequence() and they seem to be fine. The code related to SetIdentity, DropIdentity is not called for partitions, errors for which are thrown elsewhere earlier.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat