Re: Throttling WAL inserts when the standby falls behind more than the configured replica_lag_in_bytes

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: Throttling WAL inserts when the standby falls behind more than the configured replica_lag_in_bytes
Дата
Ответы Re: Throttling WAL inserts when the standby falls behind more than the configured replica_lag_in_bytes  (SATYANARAYANA NARLAPURAM <satyanarlapuram@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 5:53 AM SATYANARAYANA NARLAPURAM
<satyanarlapuram@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Hackers,
>
> I am considering implementing RPO (recovery point objective) enforcement feature for Postgres where the WAL writes on
theprimary are stalled when the WAL distance between the primary and standby exceeds the configured
(replica_lag_in_bytes)threshold. This feature is useful particularly in the disaster recovery setups where primary and
standbyare in different regions and synchronous replication can't be set up for latency and performance reasons yet
requiressome level of RPO enforcement.

Limiting transaction rate when the standby fails behind is a good feature ...

> The idea here is to calculate the lag between the primary and the standby (Async?) server during XLogInsert and block
thecaller until the lag is less than the threshold value. We can calculate the max lag by iterating over
ReplicationSlotCtl->replication_slots.If this is not something we don't want to do in the core, at least adding a hook
forXlogInsert is of great value.

but doing it in XLogInsert does not seem to be a good idea. It's a
common point for all kinds of logging including VACUUM. We could
accidently stall a critical VACUUM operation because of that.

As Bharath described, it better be handled at the application level monitoring.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat

От: Fabien COELHO
Сообщение: Re: pg_ls_tmpdir to show directories and shared filesets (and pg_ls_*)
От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: Buildfarm support for older versions