Re: Memory consumed by paths during partitionwise join planning

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: Memory consumed by paths during partitionwise join planning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 8, 2023 at 1:02 PM David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Dec 2023 at 18:02, Ashutosh Bapat
> <ashutosh.bapat.oss@gmail.com> wrote:
> > given path. E.g. we have three path chains as follows
> > 1. joinpath_1->joinpath_2->seqpath_1,
> > 2. joinpath_3->joinpath_4->seqpath_1,
> > 3. joinpath_5->joinpath_2->seqpath_1
> >
> > Please note that this is not full path tree/forest. It is difficult to
> > describe the whole path forest in text format. But this should be
> > sufficient to get the gist of how linking and unlinking works.
> >
> > Let's say all these paths are listed in pathlists of respective
> > RelOptInfos. Assume that joinpath_1, joinpath_3 and joinpath_5 are all
> > part of the topmost RelOptInfo. Then the refcounts will be as follows
> > joinpath_1, joinpath_3 and joinpath_5 -> each 1 (RelOptInfo)
> > joinpath_2 - 3 (joinpath_2, joinpath_5 and RelOptInfo)
> > joinpath_4 - 2 (joinpath_3, RelOptInfo)
> > seqpath_1 - 3 (joinpath_2, joinpath_4, RelOptInfo)
>
> I think this likely works fine providing you always unlink paths from
> the root of the path tree.  When you start unlinking from non-root
> paths I think you could start to see problems unless you increment
> refcounts recursively.
>
> The problem I had when working on improving the union planner was when
> building the final paths for a union child.
>
> Let's say I have the query:  SELECT a,b FROM t1 UNION SELECT x,y FROM t2;
>
> When planning the first union child, I'd like to provide the union
> planner with a sorted path and also the cheapest scan path on t1 to
> allow it to Hash Aggregate on the cheapest path.
>
> Let's say the planner produces the following paths on t1.
>
> SeqScan_t1
>
> When I create the final union child paths I want to try and produce a
> few sorted paths to allow MergeAppend to work. I'll loop over each
> path in t1's pathlist.
>
> SeqScan_t1 isn't sorted, so I'll make Sort1->SeqScan_t1 add add_path
> that to final_rel.
>
> Now, I also want to allow cheap Hash Aggregates to implement the
> UNION, so I'll include SeqScan_t1 without sorting it.
>
> If I now do add_path(final_rel, SeqScan_t1), add_path() could see that
> the SeqScan cost is fuzzily the same as the Sort->SeqScan_t1 and since
> the sort version has better PathKeys, add_path will unlink SeqScan_t1.
>
> Now, I don't think your scheme for refcounting paths is broken by this
> because you'll increment the refcount of the SeqScan_t1 when the Sort
> uses it as its subpath, but if instead of a Sort->SeqScan that was
> IncrementalSort->Sort->SeqScan, then suddenly you're not incrementing
> the refcount for the SeqScan when you create the Incremental Sort due
> to the Sort being between the two.
>
> So, if I now do add_path(final_rel, Sort2->Incremental_Sort->SeqScan_t1)
>
> Sort1 is rejected due to cost and we unlink it. Sort1 refcount gets to
> 0 and we free the path and the SeqScan_t1's refcount goes down by 1
> but does not reach 0.

What is Sort1? Sort1->Seqscan_t1 OR incremental_sort->Sort->seqscan_t1?

I am getting lost here. But I think you have misunderstood the code so
this question is irrelevant. See next.

> We then add_path(final_rel, SeqScan_t1) but this path is fuzzily the
> same cost as Sort2 so we reject SeqScan_t1 due to Sort2 having better
> pathkeys and we unlink SeqScan_t1.  Refcount on SeqScan_t1 gets to 0
> and we free the path. We need SeqScan_t1 for the incremental sort.

the path being presented to add_path is never passed to unlink_path().
If it's suboptimal to any existing path, it is passed to free_path()
which in its current form will throw an error. But that can fixed.
free_path can just ignore a path with refcount > 0, if we want to
present the same path to add_path multiple times.

> Perhaps in reality here, since SeqScan_t1 exists in the base rel's
> pathlist we'd still have a refcount from that, but I assume at some
> point you want to start freeing up paths from RelOptInfos that we're
> done with, in which case the SeqScan_t1's refcount would reach 0 at
> that point and we'd crash during create plan of the
> Sort2->Incremental_Sort->SeqScan_t1 plan.
>
> Have I misunderstood something here?  As far as I see it with your
> non-recursive refcounts, it's only safe to free from the root of a
> pathtree and isn't safe when unlinking paths that are the subpath of
> another path unless the unlinking is done from the root.

As long as we call link_path every time we reference a path, we could
start freeing paths from anywhere. The reference count takes care of
not freeing referenced paths. Of course, I will need to fix
free_path() as above.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat